Tuesday, October 27, 2009

H1N1 vaccine frustrations

Okay, okay I know that eveyrbody else is frustrated about the H1N1 vaccinations also, however I have a dilemma. I am not supposed to get the nasal mist becuase it is a live attenuated form of the virus and I am seeing immonocompromised patients. Yes, here in patholgoy residency we still see patients. We perform bone marrow biopsys, FNAs and this rotation I am in transfusion medicine where about 80-90% are people collecting stem cells for transplantation and are immunocompromised. So I can't get the nasal mist. AND if someone in my family gets the mist they can tansmit the virus to me so they shoul dget the injections. BUT the injections are the most scarce of all. So we have just been waiting for them to become available but then I wonder if I am putting my patients first over me family. Shouldn't I worry about my family first? But then I'd feel really horrible if someone dies because of an infection that I gave them. What to do? And to top it all off Diesel woke up with a cough this morning and I have a sore throat! :-( SO it might be to late already...

No comments:

Post a Comment